Sunday, April 29, 2012

Plain Food for Plane Travel: How to Stay Healthy & Happy at 30,000 Feet!










My priorities for dining at 30,000 feet are simple: snacks must be healthy, flavorful and portable, and not too messy, smelly or perishable. These requirements mean that I most often prepare peanut butter sandwiches made with quality ingredients, sliced raw vegetables and seasonal fruit. Apples and grapes travel well; when Satsuma tangerines are in season I bring them.

Many airport food kiosks stock bananas which provide a perfect pre- boarding nibble if I arrive hungry at my gate.  I try to remember to carry a small empty water bottle through security checkpoints which I later fill at a water fountain.  Once aloft, I supplement my home made snacks with complimentary airline tomato juice which is tasty and satisfying, though one must cast a blind eye to its stratospheric sodium content. 

Mini Nut Butter Sandwiches with Herbs and Baked Tofu:

2 slices whole rye berry bread (European style)
1 tablespoon unsalted peanut butter
2-3 pinches dried basil, oregano or marjoram
2-3 pinches Hungarian paprika
1/2 package baked tofu, thinly sliced

Spread two slices rye berry bread with peanut butter.
Sprinkle with dried herbs and paprika.
Add one layer baked tofu slices.
Close sandwich and cut into quarters.
Wrap each square in waxed paper.

Vegetables:
carrot and celery slices

Fruit:
apples