This recipe yields a delicious translucent golden broth, which alone is reason enough to make it. Garbanzo beans have a satisfying flavor and great versatility; eat them warm in soups or stews or cool in salads, hummus, and snacks. Devoting a little time to preparing this dish creates multiple meal possibilities.
2 cups soaked garbanzo beans
7 cups fresh water
2 whole carrots
2 ribs celery
1 piece leek, about 5 inches
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 bay leaf
1 whole dried red chile pepper
1 handful parsley stalks (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
juice of 1 lemon
1. Place garbanzos and water in large soup pot.
2. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer.
3. Add vegetables and cover.
4. Simmer on low flame for about 45 minutes, or until beans are tender.
5. When beans are tender, turn off heat.
6. Add sea salt and lemon juice; taste and correct seasoning
Serving suggestions: Enjoy this as a soup right away garnished with parsley or cilantro. Or drain the broth from the beans using a colander set over a bowl and refrigerate separately in glass jars for future use.