This basic vegetable stir fry is a theme upon which infinite variations are possible.
Learn this simple technique and then improvise, using produce which is fresh and in season.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons leek, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
1 carrot, thinly sliced into half moons
1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
1 cup green cabbage, shredded
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Heat oil in a heavy skillet and saute celery, leek, garlic & ginger until fragrant but not brown.
2. Stir in carrot and saute 1- 2 minutes.
3. Add cabbage, turn up flame a bit and continue to saute until cabbage is wilted, 2- 3 minutes.
4. Add red pepper, tamari & water and stir, allowing steam to complete the cooking, about 1- 2 minutes. Cabbage should be a bit crunchy but not raw.
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Serve with rice, millet, or other grain, or toss with freshly cooked soba noodles. Sprinkle with a little toasted sesame- chile pepper oil if desired.
Preparation time: 20 minutes.