This deeply flavorful broth takes less than five minutes to assemble and requires minimal attention while cooking. Delicious as is, and infinitely useful as the basis for many soups, stews, and other vegetable dishes.
1/3 bunch celery with leaves
2 or 3 whole carrots
2 or 3 whole parsnips
1 medium leek, sliced lengthwise
1 handful parsley, with stems
1 or 2 cloves garlic
1. Place washed and trimmed vegetables in soup pot.*
2. Add enough fresh water to reach about 2 inches above
3. Cover pot and bring to a gentle simmer.
4. Continue cooking on a low flame until vegetables
are tender but not too soft, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove soup from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
6. Remove vegetables from pot & pour consomme into glass
jars; keeps well in fridge for several days. (Also freezes well).
* If whole vegetables don't fit into pot, cut into a few pieces.
Serving suggestion: Pour hot consomme into warm soup bowls.
Slice a few of the cooked vegetables and add to each bowl.
Garnish with lemon or lime juice and sea salt to taste.